Friday, June 16, 2017

Week 1

Week one in D.C. has been everything I expected and much more. From day one of class, I am blown away with the speakers we have coming to talk to us. I am eternally grateful for this opportunity to meet prestigious people within the communication field who are making a difference. It has been interesting to learn about where they have come from to get to where they are and take into account their advice from within their field. I find it fascinating to hear how each speaker is combatting this new administration within their respected fields.

My favorite speaker of the week was Dane Strother from Strother Strategies. Target advertising is something I would love to do after I graduate. He disclosed some interesting information that most people are unaware of with different strategies and tactics that I really appreciated. After hearing about how he uses sticky IPs and guerilla targeting, I concluded that in a sense it is fake news. Dane is deliberately misleading people within his geo-fence to see things a certain way. I think this would be a very interesting topic to research and I am considering doing this for my final paper in the class.  

The fieldtrips this week I thoroughly enjoyed as well. I liked going to the Newseum and admiring the different front pages of newspapers. It was by far my favorite exhibit from the museum. Prior to the Library of Congress tour as a class, I went to get my reader card and explore the library. I was taken aback with how beautiful the Jefferson reading room is and being able to see and touch the books I will be using to write my research paper. I have always been someone who loves libraries and appreciates books, but after being in the heart of the library, I have a new found respect for them. The tour of the library was also interesting because I learned about the construction and the artists that created one of the most beautiful buildings in America.


Of course, I have partaken in touristy activities and visited the national monuments, explored a few streets in Georgetown and attended my first congressional baseball game. The Lincoln Memorial was one of my favorite monuments because I have always seen it in movies, but actually seeing the architecture and the size of it was overwhelming in the best way. Exploring Georgetown was nice because it reminded me a little of home being on M Street and seeing all the shops. Every store we went into, everyone was very friendly and very open to offering advice on the best places to go and explore. As for the congressional baseball game, I have to admit I was a nervous wreck going to that, but I am so happy I did. Going to that baseball game felt like it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and it felt like a little piece of home seeing everyone in LSU gear. Being reminded of home made me feel better about being away from it these next few weeks.

As for the upcoming weeks, I am excited to hear from the rest of the speakers and learn more about what amazing possibilities are here in Washington. I have never visited the capital before and it reminds me of the hustle and bustle of New York (which I love). Who knows, maybe after graduation I will move up here in December and try and make a name for myself within the communication field. Politics have never really been an interest to me until I came to LSU, so I am interested to see how I feel about pursuing a career in this city when the program is finished.

Until next week,

~ Brit










1 comment:

  1. Britany, awesome idea for the final project. I thought Dane Strother was really interesting, too; it sounded like those techniques are pretty new, like he was on the cutting edge. I wonder if there's anything at all written on the subject yet? I'm sure Jack will have some ideas. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete